Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Simple Shopping?

I keep waiting for the road to simplicity to become simple and it just simply is not simple for me.

 As I have said in the past, in order to simplify you must know yourself.  I am learning that I really do like change.  I like to eat different things each week, I never have just eaten a sandwich every day for lunch, or eggs and fruit every morning for breakfast.  In fact there are very few "everys" in my life. 

The question is why?  What is it about me that gets so excited about change? 

Clothing is a big area in my life that needs to get simpler.  I love clothes, I like to look and feel nice.  Again, I like NEW things and I think that I am coming to the conclusion that it is OK to like new things as long as I follow a few guidelines when obtaining new things.

Do I have the money in my personal budget to buy the item?

If I bring home this skirt, what item or items in my closet am I going to donate?

Will I wear this more than a few times? 

Is it versatile?

WHY do I want it?  Is it just cute, on super sale, or unique but not really something that will serve me on a weekly basis?

I have been reading a lot about simplifying clothing.  One thing I know about myself is that looking at catalogs is NOT A GOOD IDEA. That actually is what spurred me on to write this blog, two catalogs in the last three days and I "need" several items in each.

 Yikes, put the catalog down and think about this coming summer.  What do I really need?  After figuring that out, then I can look for it and get the BEST item that I can afford to fulfill that need.

Following the guidelines I have set has lead to simple shopping. 

If you are interested in reading more about simplifying your clothing you can go here.  Getting my clothing down to a reasonable amount is something I am slowly working on.  Good luck to you if you are on this journey.

Please do share in the comment section if you have a method or some ideas on how to simplify clothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment