Thursday, January 24, 2013

Buy One Get Two FREE

Who doesn't love a good sale!  I took my son to get his haircut today and much to my delight they were having a sale.  There is something about a good sale that is hard to pass up.

While I've been on this journey to simplify our lives I am learning that just because it is a good sale does not mean I need to buy it, at the same time, just because I'm simplifying does not mean I can never spontaneously buy something that is on sale.

So, how does one decide when to buy items on sale and when to pass up the deal?  Here are some guidelines that I have started using to help me make that decision.

Do I NEED the item that is on sale, if yes, of course buy it,  if no, even at a good sale I may be wasting my resources.

Is it a consumable item that I already use?  If yes, I may want to buy it.  If I do not normally use this item I need to walk away from the deal.

 Do I already have a stock of this at home?  If yes, I need to pass up this sale.

Do I have space to store this item in my house?  If no, leave it behind.

 Please note it is good to have some kind of organization system for the storage of your house hold goods.  If you know where to look on the shelf for an item, it can save you from buying a refill of that item when you already have it on hand.

 I once bought a condiment that we normally use, it was on sale so I went ahead and bought two bottles,  we go through about a bottle a year.  A week later I was cleaning out a cabinet and found that I had two more bottles of the same condiment sitting on the self that were expired.  This can happen so easily and it is not simple nor is it economically smart.  It is a good idea to know what you have on hand before buying the item on sale because $2.00 is $2.00 don't waste it.

Coupons and sales can save us a lot of money and time IF we are smart about what we purchase.

 Don't fall into the trap of getting a good deal if it is not going to be useful for you or your family.  We can easily clutter up our lives, our homes and our budget with good deals that are not so good.

The hair spray did come home with me today as it was MY spray that was on sale and I do not have any on my self that are not being used. I was thrilled that I did not have to  pass up a buy one get two FREE deal!

1 comment:

  1. So true! I don't know how many times I've bought the same condiment, then gotten home and had 2 of those, but not the one I originally went after!

    ReplyDelete