Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Simple Christmas?

I'm working hard this advent season to keep my focus on the sweet birth of my savior Jesus.  There are so many distractions.  Good heart warming traditions can be good and heart warming or they can be very stressful and distracting.

The list of things to do is long and daunting.

Buy the gifts
Wrap the gifts
Stay within the budget
Decorate the house
Get the tree
Decorate the tree
Make the cookies
Make the candies
Do we have proper outfits?
Attend the performances
Attend the parties, each requiring something to be made and brought.
Attend the Christmas teas
Write the letter
Address the letter
Buy the stamps
Mail the letters
Organize gifts into family units for all the family gatherings
Plan, buy and make the food for the three family gatherings
Prepare for the Christmas morning breakfast
Get the stocking stuffers
Obtain and implement Advent devotions
Play Christmas music
Put the lights on the house
Encourage and give to those who need it.....

Wow the list could just keep going and going.  All of these tasks are good things, heart warming things that allow us to enjoy those we love.  All of these things can take away from our focus on WHY we are doing them.

Why are we doing them?  Christmas is a big holiday nation wide a lot of time and money is spent on Christmas each year.

For some it's about family memories and having fun.  I want it to be about Jesus, being grateful,
celebrating what his birth means for us.  I DONT WANT IT TO BE ABOUT OBLIGATORY BUSINESS.

My husband says every year "I love Christmas" and I use to say "I don't it's so stressful".

What a sad statement!

I am finding that this year I am loving Christmas so what's different?

I tried to simplify things, stick to what's important, enjoy the process of each item on the task list and opt out of the less meaningful events.  This has helped me to lessen the anxiety of the daunting list.

I'm finding that it's a mindset.  Really I don't have to do anything on that list, I want to do what's on
the list.

 When I choose to slow down and enjoy the process, take a moment and notice the beauty, sing out loud with the music, my view of that list is changing from a "must do" to "I get to".

Our advent devotion this year is "The Greatest Gift unwrapping The Full Love Story of Christmas"  by Ann Voskamp
it's beautifully written and short enough to be read during our nightly family prayer time.

I will leave you with the quote on the back of her book because it is exactly what I am striving for this Christmas Season.

Remember keep it simple and stay focused.

"I DONT WANT A CHRISTMAS YOU CAN BUY.  I DONT WANT A CHRISTMAS YOU CAN MAKE.  WHAT I WANT IS A CHRISTMAS YOU CAN HOLD.  A CHRISTMAS THAT HOLDS ME, REMAKES ME, REVIVES ME.  I WANT A CHRISTMAS THAT WHISPERS JESUS"
-Ann Voskamp

No comments:

Post a Comment